Saxx Review: LOVE The Underwear, Everything Else Sucks
Back in 2013, I’d buy the cheapest pair of boxers I could find. They normally came in a three pack for $10.
Then Noah Kagan plugged his underwear. He wore Saxx. This was the first time I had heard of the online underwear company.
Out of pure curiosity, I bought a pair of Saxx boxer briefs for $30. I loved them and eventually filled my top drawer with more. It was then I realized how important a quality pair of underwear really is.
If it weren’t for Saxx, this site wouldn’t exist.
It’s more than three years later and I’ve tested dozens of brands since the site’s inception. Where do I stand on Saxx now? I still love them.
Things I Like:
- The Ultra, Vibe and Platinum styles are all great choices. You pay a premium price, but you get a premium product in return. I still have a pair from a couple of years ago, and it’s in good condition. Vibe is my favorite style because of its longer legs.
- The fit is amazing on the above pairs. If you get the right size, they’ll be tight with no riding up.
- Ballpark pouch helps keep the boys in their proper place and prevents chafing. I’m not sure why more companies haven’t adopted this.
- Saxx’s customer service is excellent. When I complained about my pair of Blacksheep’s not holding up, they had me send in a picture and then gave me a free pair of my choosing from the store.
- They look the best of any underwear I’ve ever tried. There are over 70 different colors and patterns to choose from.
Things I Dislike:
- Saxx’s product selection is confusing. People love options, but there are just too many.
- Stay away from their cotton underwear (24-Seven, Fiesta). These are the cheapest styles, and it shows. They don’t feel all that different from a pair of $3 Hanes.
- Saxx has a style called the Quest for working out. It was extremely uncomfortable, and I hated it. It’s made of mostly mesh nylon, but the material irritated my skin. I had the 1.0 version but they’ve recently released 2.0. I haven’t tried the new version, but it can’t be any worse than the first.
- Saxx’s Blacksheep boxer is the most comfortable and warm pair of underwear I’ve ever worn. So why is it in the dislike section? They’re $45 and didn’t last a full year before holes developed in the crotch. I expect more for $45.
- I bought one of JackThreads shirt.
- Their 2 in 1 Kinetic Train Shorts are poorly made. It’s a cool concept, to have your underwear built into your shorts for maximum comfort. These were relatively comfortable, but the stitching was a mess, they were way shorter than I prefer and they definitely weren’t worth the $80 price tag.
If Saxx reduced their product selection and focused on what they do best, they’d be an almost perfect company.
If you want a pair of boxer briefs to work out in, I recommend Saxx’s Pro Elites. Otherwise, go with Saxx’s Vibe or Ultra.
I plan to keep buying from Saxx and will be a loyal customer for life.